The following article outlines the process of creating pages in your ePortfolio. (An explanation of this process is also available as a video tutorial at Editing Pages and Collections in ePortfolios.) Pages are the basic component of your ePortfolio that you can display to your intended audience. You can create content on the fly in Mahara (ie. Journal entries) or draw it from other sources, such as files previously exported to Mahara from eClass or from external elements like google documents.
Whenever you click the Portfolio link from the top menu bar, you will be taken to the 'Pages' area where you can view or add new pages. If you have copied template pages from a group as a part of course or program requirements, they will appear here.
When adding a new page, there are 3 main tabs to work through: Title and description, Layout, and Content. The fourth tab, 'Choose Skin', alters the visual design of the page and is recommended only for advanced users familiar with css.
1. Edit title and description
Enter the name and a description that you want to appear as the header of the page, which will be searchable by other users who search for public pages.
2. Edit layout
Select the layout of content on the page specifying the number of columns and rows where content blocks can be added.
3. Edit content
- The first step in adding content to pages is to drag blocks from the left column into the layout areas on the page:
- When you release a block onto the page, this launches an overlay from the right where you can specify the block details and enter content:
- Once a block has been added, you can edit the content or heading through the gear icon (which opens the configuration overlay). You can drag multiple blocks onto the page and position them where desired in the existing columns. Note: the block dropping mechanism sometimes makes it difficult to drop a block at the bottom of a column - instead it is easier to drop the block at the top or middle of the column and re-position it after it has been added.
- When adding files and other media blocks, you have the option of uploading files or re-using files previously uploaded or exported to the site:
There are a wide variety of different types of blocks that you can add to pages:
- Media - generally pre-existing files, either for download or which can be displayed within blocks if multimedia or PDF. This option also allows you to embed eClass forum posts exported as html.
- Journals - individual entries or selections of entries from the journal tool within ePortfolios. See the article Adding Journal Entries to an ePortfolio.
- General - common structures for pages including navigation lists, cc licenses, and checkbox lists.
- Personal info - import particular fields or all the information from the resume section of your portfolios. For information on creating your resume see the article Adding Resumes to an ePortfolio.
- External - embed content that you have created or stored in external services such as google drive. For a detailed walk-through of embedding google drive content, see the article Embedding External Content in an ePortfolio.