Embedding Google Drive Files in eClass
Article Last Updated September 2020
This article shows how instructors can quickly embed google drive files including videos into their eClass courses. This process occurs through an external integration provided by the google suite 'Assignments' tool and only functions for files inside the ualberta google domain.
To embed a file:
1. Turn editing on and select Add an activity or Resource in the desired content section area.
2. In the activity chooser, select and Add a 'Google File Embed' activity:
3. In the 'Add an External tool' dialog, add a descriptive name to identify your file - nothing else is required and you should NOT click Select Content. Click Save and Display to attach content from your UAlberta Google drive.
4. If you are not already authenticated into gmail or drive, you will be required to sign in with your @ualberta.ca account. External personal google accounts will not work.
5. When you're signed in, click your account to 'Select' it (in case you are signed into multiple google accounts in the same browser):
6. Click Select file:
7. This will open a file dialog where you can navigate to and select and Add the desired file in your google drive:
8. You will see a confirmation dialog to attach the file to your course. Note that this will change the file sharing settings on the file in google to allow anyone with the link to access. If a greater level of privacy is required, you can open the sharing settings in your google drive and adjust the settings for the specific item:
9. The file will now be embedded in your course and available for students:
Note: If you transfer a Google File Embed activity from one course to another, either from copying content from one course to another during course creation or from the Import function in the previously linked article, it will not copy over the video. It will just be an empty Google File Embed activity that you have to add the file to again.
If you need the link to transfer over, and you don't want to re-add the video and you don't need the video embedded in eClass, consider adding a shareable link from Google Drive to your eClass. To do this, go to your Google Drive, right-click on the file that you want to share, click on Get shareable link, make sure to change the sharing settings under "Get link" to University of Alberta: Anyone in this group with this link can view, and then click Copy link. This will copy a link that you can put into your course.