Creating and Accessing Zoom Meetings through eClass
Article Last Updated August 2020
Zoom is currently available for use to all Faculty and Staff at the UofA. If a Zoom account is required by a Staff or Faculty member who does not want to access Zoom via eClass, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to request a manual account in Zoom
This article describes how instructors can create and launch Zoom meetings through their eClass course. Follow these instructions for creating online sessions outside of regular Beartracks credit sections.
1. First ensure that you have turned editing on in your course, then click on 'Add an activity or resource' in the desired topic to add the zoom meeting activity tool:
2. Give the activity a name that will indicate where all the course meetings will be located. You will only need to add a single zoom activity to your course (you will add multiple meetings within it). All the other setting can be left as defaults:
3. If you chose Save and return, click the new Zoom tool link from your course:
4. If you chose Save and display (or clicked the link), you should now see the Zoom course dashboard. If this is your first time accessing the tool (and Zoom), you will need to confirm your UAlberta email address as an account on the system. Note: if you already have a Zoom account associated with your UAlberta gmail account (in the form email@example.com) you may encounter problems with this step. You will need to delete your previously created account to link an account to Zoom through eClass.
5. Clicking the link in your UAlberta email account will allow you to follow a sequence of steps to sign in to and connect your account to Zoom:
6. Now your account is enabled and you will be signed in to the Zoom web application. As this interface is slightly different from the integrated eClass tool, it is recommended that you navigate back to eClass and refresh your page. You should see the Zoom Course recordings interface at this point. This will show any Upcoming meetings you’ve already created, along with tabs for Previous meetings, and any Cloud recordings:
7. When creating a new meeting, you can specify the following:
8. Once created, you will see your meeting listed under ‘Upcoming meetings’:
9. Accessing the meeting settings will provide you a link to share with external participants (students in your class can just click the link to join.)